Monday, October 13, 2008

Mixed Emotions

So, I am feeling a little nervous. I have made a decision in my life, which I feel is a big one.
Leaving law enforcement was a huge choice for me. I wasn't necessarily ready, but it was the best for my family. Since I wasn't really ready to quit, I sometimes feel like I shouldn't let it go so easy. Take a break from it, yes. Leave it entirely, no. I think to myself, "Self, you could do an investigator type job, Monday thru Friday, still be in the field, but not on the beat". Then I think, I put up with so much crap when I was a cop and I don't really want to continue all that drama and stress. Police Academy was fun for me, being the "social coordinator", hanging out and enjoying that time in my life. It was a lot of work also, running miles and miles and push ups and sit ups. But I like that stuff, now, not so much, but back then I thrived on it.
Now I am wanting to change careers completely and go into cosmetology. Yes, become a hairstylist. I have always been girly, loved clothes and make up. I love doing hair and making people feel good about themselves. Yes, I would encourage everyone to cut their hair a little shorter and not be "cookie cutter", but I can accept that not everyone wants short funky hair-like me. I can take critism, which I think is necessary, but I can also encourage people to be a little different. I want to be able to help others express themselves in a little different type of way.
A funny story. I went to a birthday party about a year ago and was at a bar. A guy came up to me and said, "Let, me guess, your a hairstylist". After wanting to punch him in the face, I thought to myself, what a compliment. Hairstylists, for the most part, are put together and have great hair and style!! Now, when people ask me (and that has been happening a lot lately), I feel good like I am making the right decision.
I would have started this process as soon as possible, but the school is expensive and we aren't financially ready for that. Paul Mitchell is about $20, 000 for a year. That is as much as a car!! My Aunt told me a couples weeks ago, "Do it, invest in yourself". She went on to explain that if David and I were to get a new car, we wouldn't have a problem spending that money, but we don't spend the money on ourselves, which is an investment. She has a point.
You ask, why am I nervous about this now. Well, I am touring the school Saturday. It's an open house and it is the "next step" for me. I know this may be a deal breaker and the more steps I take, the more or less likely this will happen.
So I figure that in about a year, or when Quinten starts kindergarden, I will go back to school and do it. Now it is a year long and it's full time. David may have to work some overtime, but I figure, look at the sacrifices I have made. He can make a few too!

No comments: