Sunday, October 5, 2008

huh?

So I was thinking today to what I wanted to write about. Did I want to conquer politics, drugs and gangs or religion-nah. Let's talk about something serious-shopping.

I have had kind of a problem with this subject since I was in college and worked at Weinstocks. It isn't around anymore, it was bought out by Macy's in 1996. I worked there for about 3 1/2 years and loved it.

Let's go back alittle though. In high school, I may not have been the popular girl, but I wore good clothes! I wore Benetton, Z. Cavaricchi (that's funny to think about these days) and Guess. My Mom had a great way to ration me. She gave me a "clothing allowance", which was money I was given every month to buy clothes with. I could save the money up and buy something big, or spend the allotted amount monthly. I would save up a couple months up and go crazy and hit the sale racks. Now, my Mom is quite a shopper herself, but she goes to the stores that I can't shop at. The kind where the sales clerks look at you crazy if you are too young, driving the wrong car or not carrying a Louis Vuitton bag (the real kind, not the Overstock special). So anyway, this gave me a good foundation, to what later would become a problem.

So I was a sales clerk as Weinstocks, the only problem, is my entire paycheck stayed at the store. I might add that they were nice enough to give me my very first credit card. I never got into any trouble with it though so that was a good thing. I was scared of my Dad and what he would do if he found that I hadn't paid that sucker off every month.

Later, after Weinstocks went out of business and I was working at Applebee's, I started shopping at Marshalls and Ross. I have always been a brand name shopper. And, the brand name needed to be visible. Now, don't act like you don't know what I am talking about. You know, the T-shirt that says "Abercrombie" or the red tag on the back of your "Lucky Jeans". Marshalls and Ross had name brand clothes that were marked down and I am one of those that searches. My shopping trips are not quick my friends. They are in depth because I am looking for the deals!

Then when my body started to move out of the "Jr" sizes, I moved to Express. I loved that place. I wore my ugly, manly, polyester uniform every day for 5 years, but on my weekends, I wouldn't wear the same thing twice. And trust me, I looked like a girl. I can't tell you how many times people would refer to me as "sir" at work, so I made myself extra girly as to not be confused off duty.

After I got knocked up and gained my weight, I faltered and hung out with the Old Navy crowd for awhile, but I lost some of it and regained alittle confidence. I started back into Banana Republic and Macy's.

That's when I really started into the shoes and you gotta love Macy's shoes. That is a whole other blog. Now, they are expensive, but you gotta hit up the clerance with additional off. That is an outting all by itself. Does the comfort level matter-no. You have to suck it up to get anywhere in life, right. This is one of the things you have to sacrifice.

So I am kinda getting into purses now. I really want a Coach purse, but the price tags on those things is even alittle more then I can handle. Time to make a trip to Gilroy I think-they have an outlet there. I will have to give you updates on my venture in that department. It's new territory, which makes it exciting.

So, shopping is a very important part of my life. I do it when I am happy. sad, bored and irritated. I like to go by myself, with friends and my kids too. I like to do it with coffee, with Sonic or without anything. I like big bags, small bags and boxes. I love everything about shopping. So if you need someone to go with you, I'm honest and have an enthusiasm that you won't find in anyone else.

2 comments:

Audrey said...

That's Melissa! And I love you for it! I want a Coach purse too (can you believe it?)! And yes, they do have an outlet in Gilroy, but my husband wouldn't let me check it out last time we were there.....I think it's time for a girl's trip!

Audrey said...

Oh, I have a blog now too! Just so we could keep up with each other!.....thewallacechronicles.blogsopt.com -check it out!