Friday, December 19, 2008

Prep for Christmas

If you read my blog regularly, you know how much I love this time of the year. But this year is different. I got into it, but not really. There were several things missing, so to speak.
I didn't have a baking/tamale day with Audrey. I didn't have beautiful icicle lights on my house-instead we invested in the energy saving ones that David wanted. I didn't have a lot of room in my living room for all my decorations. I have a fireplace that doesn't allow for the "stockings hung by the chimney with care".
I guess I need to look at the positive. It's hard to come to terms with the fact that Christmas is right around the corner and still feel like I haven't done the necessary things that are required before the day comes. I usually love to bake and lock myself in the kitchen to take care of stress and to feed my need for sugar, but I really didn't this year after getting my first electric bill with my electric range-yikes. I missed the Visalia parade that I loved going to, except last year when David chose to sit by people from Farmersville that he had arrested and that had obvious criminal backgrounds.
What I do love, is that the boys acknowledge that Christmas is Jesus birthday and the fact that Gavin wants to write about it in his kindergarten class. I love that they ask when Santa is coming-everyday! I love making care packages for Gavin's classroom and giving treats to the teachers. These things I love. I guess Christmas isn't for us, it's for the kids. It's passed down from the generations. I wonder when I am gonna want to give it up. I guess Linda was right, I am spoiled.


2 comments:

Audrey said...

What does loving Christmas have to do with being spoiled?
I think you're still in "transition phase" from moving away from me! But you are right, it does seem a little tough this year to get into the spirit. I can't quite put my finger on why though. I too, miss our tamale / baking day, and our Christmas Eve tradition of donuts and coffee in pajamas.
But let's start a new tradition this year, since you insist on living so far away! What should we do???

The Lomeli clan said...

I will burn pine flavored candles and clean my house and you can come here for the day. Whatever day is fine with me. I can make us latte's and we can eat donuts. We can open presents and watch movies and the kids can play. It's the usual, but we have to drive a little farther. We can also do our baking day that day if we want...