Thursday, December 11, 2008

Birthday

So, it was my birthday yesterday. I was expecting, as I always do, a parade in my honor, a television broadcast and all the hoopla letting everyone know that I am the queen. It didn't happen, if you were wondering. I go up with the kids, while my wonderful husband slept in. I made myself a pumpkin pie latte, read the newspaper, and watched some TV with the kids. David woke up after awhile and came to bless our little family with his lazy presence.
After a bit David told me that I needed to go talk to Gavin about his mis-behaving. I walked into the playroom and Gavin and Quinten were sitting by their table yelling "Happy Birthday!". They had a present on their table which they told me to open.
I opened the present to find a waffle maker. I asked for this gift, but knew that it was a hint also. I didn't give in.
We sat down and ate. They ate cereal, I had French toast-Yum!! We got ready, David took Gavin to school and I cleaned the house because we were having company for dinner.
We basically didn't do anything all day. I sat around the house, bored. David helped clean, but not be nice. To make sure that is friends didn't think we were slobs. As a stay at home Mom and keeper of the house, I tried not to take offence to this.
As a family we picked up Gavin and went to Chapala Grill for lunch/snack, since none of us had lunch. It was really good by the way. When we got home, David told me to open a compartment in the car to "get something". When I opened it, I found a small box. Inside the box was a pair of small diamond earrings. They were just what I wanted. Hence the "wonderful husband" title that he received earlier.
We got home, got the BBQ heated up and I started making dinner. We had tri-tip, potato skins and asparagus. It was super good. I was very impressed with myself. I had a couple bottles of wine ready, but they don't drink wine, or beer for that matter. Don't get me wrong, overdoing it isn't a good thing. But when you are me, a glass (or two) of wine at dinner with strangers is much needed. So I went about dinner being completely sober. Yikes.
It was a long evening. The boys were high maintenance, which is out of character, but okay in this situation. David talked "shop talk" and every so often I put in my two cents, but I just wasn't on my game. In fact, I wasn't even on the field. I was standing outside with my bottled water.
I have to be honest. My favorite part of the night was when David and I crawled into bed and watched Ghost Hunters. It was just us. That was the best gift all day!


3 comments:

Audrey said...

Funny how we still kind of expect our birthdays to have all the magic they did when we were young! Parents are so good at making that magic, husbands usually, not so much! Sorry you had an ordinary day and I couldn't be there to help you celebrate. I thought about you all day though!

The Lomeli clan said...

Thanks. One of these years, David will get it. I try to tech him by example, but I think he thinks he deserves it. The only person who deserves it is ME!! Ha ha. That's okay we will have our own little birthday celebration, even it's at Starbucks!

The Isaacs said...

I had no idea it was your birthday!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!