Monday, January 12, 2009

Orientation

So, today was orientation for the larger than life, Fresno Adult School. I left this morning, thinking I had plenty of time to get to the school without having to rush-WRONG! I was haulin' ass trying to get there in time. Not because I hadn't left enough time, but those crazy streets in the downtown area, are just that, crazy!! I was in the wrong hundred block and couldn't find where to turn and so on and so forth. All the streets in the area are one way, which doesn't help. It took me 10 minutes to find the school itself. So after finding it, I drive through the gated area (which screams "Dangerous" to me), in an attempt to find a parking spot. There weren't any, so I had to park on the street in a one hour parking spot. At least it wasn't metered!
I get out of the car and as I jaywalk, I see a police officer to my left. Great that's the last thing I needed-a ticket. He fortunately didn't stop me. I walked as fast as I could to get into the classroom before they shut the door. And so I didn't get mugged or assaulted.
I sat down, by myself to the back of the class. There were a few more people, who came in after me, who sat in my area. I looked around and was a little uncomfortable. Gang tattoo's, parolee's and dirty people surrounded me. I guess I was a little overdressed. I wore heels, nice jeans, black shirt and jacket and all my usual jewelry. I did my hair and wore my thick eye makeup (which is starting to be a staple of mine). I could see people look at me in a confused way, like maybe I had taken a wrong turn.
As I was given my paperwork, I was given a sheet asking me to explain why I chose FAD and what my career goals were. After I had completed my in depth essay of why I chose this as my career and how I hope to succeed, I look around at other people's papers. They have 2-3 sentences. I have never felt like an overachiever, except for now. I would like to thank Immanuel High School for the good education I received....ha ha!
So the lady explains everything to the class and I fill out my bubble sheet and sign up for what time slot I want to do my actual testing next week. Thank goodness that class was only an hour. I sat there with my purse sitting in between my ankles tightly clenched. I will have sore muscles in my legs tomorrow from that.
So I start my testing on the 20th. I am jazzed, although not so excited about having to go back to that scary place for a week. I go every morning from 8-11 Tuesday thru Friday. I can't wait to get this over with and actual start the beauty school portion! I will be keeping you all updated!

3 comments:

Audrey said...

Well that's one step down!! Good job! Hopefully the week you have to be there from 8-11 won't be too painful. But at least it's only a week and not 18 months! I'm proud of you!! A step in the right direction.....

The Lomeli clan said...

One step only 1,347,890 to go.....ha ha!

Audrey said...

This isn't like you.....why haven't you blogged all week? You haven't started school yet, so that can't be your excuse! Come on!..Get with it!!