Sunday, January 25, 2009

Complete!

As of Friday I am officially a graduate of Fresno Adult School Student Success Workshop. That sounds good and all but let me tell you about my last day.
I got there and hung out briefly with the Chola's, lucky for me, they were late. The fact that I stopped at Starbucks before I got there helped a lot too! When I went inside,I was put in a group with 8 people. We had to sit at a table and discuss a worksheet that had to do with stereotypes and racial profiling. I was the only white girl, there were four Hispanics, two Asians and one black guy. It wasn't too bad actually. I was in a group of older, mature people-Yea!!
After about an hour we recieved our results from the test we took on Wednesday and were sent to the counseling center where we found out if we were smart enough to continue onto the career of our choice.
I met with a lady who signed me off in, oh, 30 seconds. She didn't ask any questions, didn't ask me how I was. She told me that I would have no problem and gave me a sign out sheet to get my letter from the front office.
I walked to the front office and looked around. It was hella scary. There were all kinds of people from various walks of life. Walks that I would never take. When I sat down it was next to a girl who should have picked a chair without armrests. I noticed quickly that rubbing bottoms with a stranger is never, under any circumstances, comfortable. The people waiting in the office talked a language I have only heard in movies. The movie Friday to be exact. It was funny hearing about girls from the hood getting "knocked up" and back with their "baby Daddy" named Junior. Alrighty then.
After waiting in this hole, I was eventaully called. The lady read my clearance letter and asked me for my high school diploma. I told her that I didn't have it with me. She said that she needed it and asked if I had gone to school in Fresno. I told her "No". She asked if I had graduated, I looked at her in a confused way. "Yes" I replied. She asked where I graduated from. I replied "Immanuel". She had no idea what Immanuel was. From how she looked at me, Immanuel was on another planet. I explained it was a private school in Reedley. She blew it off and said that I needed to bring in my diploma and get my letter.
Could I expect anything less from the Fresno Adult School. So now, I have to go back to that wonderful place and bring them a piece of paper. With all the hoops I have had to go through, I hope this career change is worth it.

No comments: