Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Adoption

Many of you may think, from the title of this blog, that I will be talking about the wonderful day that Bob and Elaine decided to make me their own and adopt me Wrong!! I am going to talk about, yet again, the Adult School.
I have found a couple girls that have adopted me as their "friend" at school. They are the Chola's. Yes everyone, I said it right, Chola's. The female gang bangers have found me to be likable and want to talk to me at break time. Now, anyone who knows me, knows I am anti-gang, anti-Chola, anti-criminal anything. On the first day, one of the girls, who I pegged immediately, sat down and started emptying out about school, work and her life in general. I was nice (more like nosey) and was a good listener. And that, my friends, is where it started.
Today, Chola approached me and yet again started to talk to me. This time about how she was married at 16, but that her husband died at 24. Now, being the nosey person I am, after I showed sadness, I asked what happened. She went on to explain that he was shot by his friends. Hello? Come again? Gang member!!
Let me explain some gang life to you. When, let's say a Bulldog gang member, wants to live without the gang, or un-join if you will, or start claiming a rival gang and deny the Bulldogs, a contract is put out on that person. This contract can be given by a lead member from the streets or even be sent from the prison system from one of the head honchos.
So anyway, this guy was killed by his friends. As I tightened my grip on my purse, I checked to see how many people where standing around me and heard this story. The only way I had ever been this close to a gang banger was in uniform and with a pair of handcuffs in my hand, doing an interrogation.
Then Chola tells me that her new boyfriend is a really good Dad, when he's out. Out of prison, are you kidding me! This chick doesn't have a clue about personal safety. Apparently he is "locked up" right now.
I really wanted to make a good excuse about how I had a terrible case of something-or-rather, but stayed in hopes that the topic would change or class would be back in session.
I can't say that I was ever jazzed to go take tests all day, but this wonderful morning, I was. I ran into class and sat down, looking forward and enjoying the quiet. For some reason the smelly guy I sat next to seemed to be a safer choice. I can still smell that guy, even after my shower, but I am sure the funk will fade eventually.
So anyone who wonders about Adult School, there you go. It is scary, just as I told you all initially. It is nasty, but free. It better be free after having to put up with this!

2 comments:

Audrey said...

I am still laughing! Well, just consider this as a chance to "expand your horizons"! And yes, I know that you expanded when you were a police officer, but this will definitely give you a different outlook!

Just remember that Chola is still a Child of God, and He created her, and loves her, and though you might not become best friends (better not!), and yes, she might be on the wrong side of the law, she still deserves kindness. Sorry about the preaching. But I think especially when you have some pre-conceived ideas and feelings about "Chola's", getting to know one will probably soften your heart. If she follows you to cosmo school, I bet you'll be friends and have play-dates once a week!

Funny post! And remember, I did tell you not to wear any jewelry...you might want to "blend in" some more! Maybe stop taking showers too......

The Lomeli clan said...

Are you serious? Aren't you the girl who used to get jumped by Chola's on your way home from school? Can't say it would be a friendship had she chosen beauty school. I think I will stay with my pre-conceived notions. God is God for a reason-he loves everyone. I am not God. Kindness is one thing, bringing someone into my life who is associated with criminal activity-NO! My heart has been soft for awhile, especially with all this weight gain I have found, but I have standards and I am gonna stand strong on morals and keep my friends from the non-felon crowd.