Thursday, November 20, 2008

Wednesday night

It started out as a normal day. We hung out as a family for a couple hours until David had to go to work and after he left, I went about my business. I made dinner, cleaned up dinner, cleaned up kids, read books and got in bed. I watched TV until my eyes wouldn't stay open. I guess it was about 11:15 when I called it a night.
It was 12:30-ish when I got a call on my cell phone from David. I was kind of irritated because I had tried calling him all evening and he didn't answer my calls or send me a text message telling me goodnight. So I ignored the first call. Next, he called on the home phone. Fine, I'll pick up. He sounded weird and told me, "Don't worry, I'm okay". Okay, don't call me in the middle if the night and say that. What happened? He went on to say he was in an "OIS". First he freaks me out with his comment, now he's gonna use an acronym? I had to ask what an OIS is since I was still asleep. He replied "Officer involved shooting". Since I was kinda out of it, I said, "Okay". He went on to tell me that he would be late because he had to be interviewed by Detectives and so on. So I had got off the phone with him and realized that I didn't ask if he was the shooter. I tried text messaging him with negative results.
So, needless to say, I didn't sleep well. He got home at 6:00-ish, at which time I jumped out of bed and met up with him in the office to talk about what had happened. It turned out it was his partner that was the shooter, but he was right there next to him. He saw the suspect get shot and said that if he had he had a clear shot, he would have shot him also.
So after the de-briefing, I was amazed at how comfortable I was with everything. I know that David is a good cop. I have full faith in him as an officer, that he can handle any situation and know that he will do everything in his power to come home at night. I tried to be encouraging, but I could tell that he was a little different, as anyone would be after going thru something like this. So he waived his right to three days paid administrative leave and meeting with a Doctor to go back to work the next day.
Well, Thursday night he went to work, even though I thought it wasn't the best idea. At 8 o'clock he calls and tells me that he was being sent home by his Sgt because he hadn't been "cleared" to come back to work yet. Apparently he has to meet with a Shrink and have three days off, which is standard protocol. He was glad to be home, but I could tell he was sorta angry inside.
Today, he went to the Doctor and had a great experience. He was really positive about their talk and explained to me some of the weird things he was experiencing. He went into things he could and couldn't do for health reasons and why different things were happening with his body. It was great to see him make sense of things that he would have otherwise, not.
I am still in a little bit of shock, but all in all it has been a good week. My husband went through a very difficult situation and I felt like I was able to help him and encourage him. He still has some things to deal with, but all in all, we are good and healthy. He has told me he doesn't want to talk about it to people, which I respect. He wants to move on and learn from this experience. Keep him in your prayers and thoughts as he still has some things to cope with.


No comments: