Sunday, November 9, 2008

David worked last night, in the rain. He responded to the shooting call at San Joaquin Memorial high school, where two men were shot. That is what police officers live for.
Now, don't get me wrong, its unfortunate for the subject who gets shot, but the blood and guts-that's cool. I loved going to calls regarding gruesome things. Call me weird. It all started when my old roommate and I would would eat chinese food and watch Faces or Death movies. Now that is gross.
So he calls me and tells me that he had to stand in the rain for an hour, without a rain coat. Uniform rain coats are about $100. If he could wear a regular rain coat-no problem. If he could even carry an umbrella-no problem, but the restrictions for Fresno PD are so outta control. He can't wear certain pants because it's not in "dress code", he can't wear certain jackets and so on and so on. So he calls me and says that his pants are so wet that it's down to his boxers. How uncomfortable is that? He had to wear those wet pants all night, from 10:30 until he got off at 2am.
I remember going on a homicide call in the dead of winter, on graveyards. It was so cold and I had to take perimeter. I was like a walking ice cube after having to stand there for 2 or 3 long hours.
So the moral of the story. If you can't stand wearing polyester in summer, don't be police officer. If you can't handle standing in the rain for hours, don't be a police officer. And, if you don't like the thought of brains splattered on a wall after someone commits suicide, don't become a police officer. My husband is lucky!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for reminding why I am a Probation Office. Half of the fun, without nights, blood, guts, holidays, uniforms, and weekends.

The Lomeli clan said...

What are you talking about. You loved working at the high school. You would give up your big pay raise to do that again! Think of doing that every day!