Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Addictions

I have seen a lot of different addictions in my lifetime. I have seen many people with addictions to methamphetamine, heroin and the like. I have dealt with people under the influence of all these drugs, as well as alcohol. I have handled all these drugs and can pretty much identify them through taste-just kidding-through sight. I have seen women who were actively using drugs while they were pregnant or with small children in their house. I have talked to children who could tell me the difference between marijuana and a cigarette and the smells they omit.
It still amazes me to think of how people abuse their bodies and people around them, with these things. The worst thing is the fact that no matter how much you try to help addicted people, they will always have an addiction.
I openly admit that I have problems with shopping, food and caffeine. I love my addictions because I feel like they are mildly healthy. I am addicted to taking care of myself so I eat. The fact that I eat everything in sight is not the point. All the things I buy clothing-wise are on sale-that's good right? Caffeine? Hello!! That is the healthiest of all. It keeps me awake, very important with two small children.
I know I would have a problem quitting my addictions, but they couldn't potentially kill me. For instance, when I worked for Visalia PD, I was driving past a bar around 1:30am and while looking for a DUI, I noticed a man on the side of the road, going through what appeared to be a seizure. I stopped and checked out with this man, who seemed to be homeless. I let him do his thing and stood by with him, talking to him and so forth until the paramedics came. They took the man to the hospital, where he was admitted. I saw the paramedics later and asked about the man. They said that he was an alcoholic and was going through detox or withdrawal. They told me that had I not stopped and called for them and the man had not received treatment, he would have died within an hour.
Hello? I may feel like if I don't hit Macy's I will die, but there is a difference there.
Another example. I responded to a house where I had developed a relationship with a family, where three of the four children were dirt bags. Well, the son, who was about 18, was huffing gasoline. That is weird to me. Go ahead and smoke a joint, but gasoline? Anyway, I talk to the kid and he smells like a gas station. He is showing signs of being under the influence so I arrest him and take him to the hospital to be medically cleared. I guess huffing gasoline is dangerous-who would have known. We are leaving the hospital and what does he ask me for? A cigarette. What? Of course I couldn't let that go. I made fun of him, asking him, "What do you want to explode?" Apparently he doesn't know about reactions, such as gas to flame.
So I will take my problems any day. I will embrace them and brag about them because I know they are not life threatening or dangerous to me. I will smile and suggest that others become addicted to them also. Keep in mind, you may be my next recruit....



No comments: