Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A toe? Really?

Yesturday I needed some "me" time, so around 12:30, I told David he was on kid duty with Quinten while I ran some errands.
I left and hit Macy's (to return shoes!), Cosmo Prof (to get a new rattail comb), and to JoAnne's to make a sign for our door that reads "Need help? Call the Police. We had another enighbor come over for advise. So muh for having time away from work, but that's another blog.
When I get home, Quinten is sitting with his babysitter-the T.V. and the lazy old man is asleep on the couch. Mind you I had only been gone for an hour. That was a really quick shopping trip!
David gets up about 2:30 so he can get ready for work. As he is getting ready, he tells me that he stubbed his tow outside on the metal chair, which has been in the same location since we moved here. He said his toe hurt but it wasn't anything serious.
So he gets ready and leaves and I go pick up Gavin. When he is almost to work he calls and tells me that his toe is really sore. He said that he couldn't put any weight on it, or it throbbed in pain. I told him to take his boot off and take a look. He did and found it was bruised and swollen. He let his Sergeant know that he couldn't work and came home to go to the Doctor.
I was a mess. First off David hasn't seen a Dr for awhile and we didn't have one in Fresno yet. Finally, I called the boys Pediatrican and asked for a referral. So he gets home and we head out to the Doctor's office. David tells me that I need to relax and I agree, making a quick joke about how it's good he wasn't giving birth-which now that I think about it, may not have been a bad idea.
We waited about 2 hours, but in between we got X-rays and the actual visit. The Doctor, who turns out to be a washed out hippie, who looks like he grows mrijuana in his backyard, tells David that he sees three lines in his toe, but refuses to tell him it's fractured. Why is it such a big deal? He tells him to ice it, tape it and elevate it. He gives David three days on light duty-which is taking telephonic reports in an office for three days and okay's him to go back to patrol by Sunday.
We get home and after a couple hours, David's toe gets more swollen and turns a beautifl shade of purple. It hurts really bad by then and David is mad. I understand because in this pain, he won't be able to wear shoes.
I am hoping that David calls the Doctor's office back to let them know of the result. I think he needs to stay off of it for the rest of the week and give it a little rest.

No comments: