Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Lack of Estrogen

If anyone knows me, you know that I am really not big on drama or caddy girls. In fact, that was why I choose a "manly" profession in the first place.
So at beauty school on Saturday there was an incident. One of the other students decided to get her hair colored. She was obviously having a bad day and was outside the classroom crying about her boyfriend for a majority of the day. So, I guess she wanted a change and decided to go with n new hair color since you can't change weight or any other major part of your body that quickly.
So another girl pulls her hair through a cap, which is typically done to short hair but this girl had an A-line cut that was shoulder length. The girl already had highlights throughout her hair, including peek-a-boos colored purple.
As I did a weave on one of my friends, I watched as this girl sit under the drier for about 20 minutes. Then, all of a sudden, a lot of commotion started. Instructors started coming to the back classroom and I heard someone say that the girls hair was falling out. I looked over and saw one of the instructors holding a wad of bleach blonde hair. The girl was laying in the chair, with her head still in the sink sobbing. Chunks of her hair were coming off her head, all the parts that had been bleached.
As the drama carried on, more and more people came back to give the girl their condolences and this girl cried, for 3 hours!!
As all of this goes down, I am getting more and more irritated. The girl ended up with a haircut similar to me, which I don't think is that unfortunate, but whatever. She acted like it was the end of the world.
For the next couple hours, maybe it was a half hour, but regardless it felt like hours, the girl sobbed. Seriously? Had she not read in the books we have to buy for $3500, that if you overly process your hair, it fries and in turn can strip it-completely off?! Any person that has colored their hair, knows not to overdo it. The fact that students, that study hair color, didn't know this is beyond me.
All the students gathered around this girl and tried comforting her, while I stood back and (I hate to say it) rolled my eyes. All this estrogen. I felt claustrophobic from it all.
So I left, as quickly as I could. I wanted to get away from all the tears and sorrow, for tomorrow was Mother's Day and I would be pampered, for about 10 minutes, but it's more then normal.
I love learning all about hair and nails and facials and everything else, but the drama....oh the drama. That is what is going to kill me in the end.

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Ha! I'm with you...I don't do drama. Unless it's good gossip - than I can handle it for a few mintues. :)

So, maybe you should just work out of your house, because you know that drama will be the medicine of choice for most of the women in whatever salon you choose to drop your anchor! Good luck with that! But at least you'll be able to offer some humor to the ridiculousness!

That reminds me.....I miss you.