Monday, March 23, 2009

Bad night

We have a really bad night about once every couple months were I want to turn in one or both of my children to the local hospital or police department or "safe" haven because I feel like I will loose it. I am not sure that this happens to everyone, but assume it does. I enjoy talking to the honest Mother's who admit these feelings and talk openly about similar experiences.
This afternoon, Quinten looses it, which has actually happened for the last couple days. I have trained him to go directly to his room and lay on his bed until he can get it together and return to reality. He did this and laid in his bed for about 1/2 an hour, so I was able to get the vacuuming done and clean the living room. Gavin was the good child and went outside and picked up the dog poop in the backyard, which in turn scored him $1-which is huge for a 5 year old.
Somewhere between then and dinner time, he became demon possessed. The first thing he did was yell at Quinten and I, calling us "Liars". I tried to calmly resolve this situation, until he started laughing at me. Straight to my face, laughing like I was telling him a joke. Boy, I yanked that kid out of his seat and the demons some how switched over to me. I waked him a couple good ones while yelling, "Move your hand". I was pretty sure I impacted his life, until.....
He came back to the table and started arguing about how he was right and blah, blah, blah. I tried to stay calm this time as well and I did, relatively speaking. Gavin had a fit about something and started whining. Whining to a parent is torture. I feel like ripping my kids tongues out when they whine. So I send him back to his room, where he has a mental breakdown and cries loud enough for the neighbors to hear for about 5 minutes. Finally he comes out when he is done. I ask him to not talk and eat his food.
By this time, Quinten and I are both done with our meals. This whole ordeal started at 5:30 and it is 7:15, and he is still at the table eating his bowl of soup. In between David calls me and tells me to relax, apparently he has never had the kids on one of these nights. I have already given Gavin the heads up to the remainder of the night. He will finish all his food, be thrown in the shower and go straight to his room, where he will finish his night. I am not going to let his issue take hours off my life. There is just a time in every woman's life, when enough is enough.

2 comments:

4 Reeders said...

You are NOT alone....more like join the club! Every day I try to be a better Mommy than I was the day before. Lots of days I succeed, but some days those darn kids cause me to fail miserably! Hang in there, we all go through it whether we will admit it or not!

Jamie said...

Oh, and it's always the night that you're parenting alone. Aargh!!!