Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Police Experience

I thought that buying a house on this "side of town" would be very low key. I thought that it was all about location, location, location. Paying a higher price takes away all the nastiness. Well, apparently it is, but not in a good way.
Today around 4-ish I get a knock on my door. I open it and was greeted by a terrible smell attached to a 20-something girl. Let me be more specific. It was the wonderful smell of methamphetamine. I look at this girl who introduces herself and tells me how she is selling books to donate to the hospital so she can go on a trip to Spain or Africa-I don't remember. I had a very hard time not staring at her dialated pupils. All I could do is hold my breath. She was amped, going on and on. She tells me that she lives on a street close to mine and that my neighbors have been very generous thus far. I told her I didn't have any money (to support her drug habit-I wish) and sent her on her way.
Methamphetatime or crank or whatever the cool name for it is nowadays, has a very specific smell when it emits from ones pores. It has a very chemically aroma with a hint of rotten flesh-yes it is rank!
I thought, for about 30 seconds and decide this is when I need Fresno PD. I call dispatch and am on hold for, oh, 10 minutes. Are you freking serious? This may not be an "emergency", but it is important none the less. I call David, no answer, he is still in briefing.
Finally I get through and give them the information. Suspect description, clothing, type of offense, etc. and let them know that the officer doesn't have to contact me. I add that the subject is high as a kite. Well, 40 minutes later I get a knock at my door. It's Stockdale!! That's Officer Stockdale to all you! He tells me that he is working this area and has checked for the subject with negative results. I let him know what happened and talk to him for a couple minutes.
Let me tell ya, this was not the greatest experience. I know that people are getting stabbed and shot on the south side, but what happens up here? A petty theft from Target, out of control juveniles? I am glad that next time I have a direct line to getting these dirt bags off our streets!

1 comment:

Lee said...

Down here by the Tower District and Roeding Park where Jill & I live the response time is great. Last year our neighbors got paid to clean out the rental across the street and decided to a) make alot of noise b) not turn on many lights c) go through the back door d) start at 11:30pm. Two police cars made the six block drive in five minutes. I did have to go over an apologize to the neighbor the next day, but he did understand that daytime would have been a wiser choice.
-Adam