Thursday, February 12, 2009

Aunt Ruby

I just got a call from my Mom. It wasn't a bad call, but it wasn't a good call. She called to tell me that my Aunt Ruby had died this morning.
Aunt Ruby was married to Uncle Eddie, who passed away about a year or so ago. They were married for many years and had no children. He had worked for President Reagan and she was always a woman who was "taken care of". Meaning she never had to work, etc.
What I remember about Aunt Ruby was her long hair that was put into a bun. No matter how old she got, her hair was always black. She always wore cashmere sweaters and polyester pants. They lived at Morro Bay, I'm talking their backyard was the sand dunes. They had a picture window in their living room of the ocean and I could sit there forever and just look outside. When we would go visit, she would make delicious seafood and we would go out to eat at fancy restaurants (not something my parents ever treated me to).
I had good memories with Aunt Ruby, although with the hustle and bustle which is my life now, I wasn't able to see her as much. The last time I saw her was Thanksgiving. She brought the boys some toys and sat down with them and asked about school and what they were learning. I talked to her about Beauty School and David talked about his job. We all had a good last memory of her and she will be missed. I know she is in a better place and is walking down the streets of gold.

No comments: