Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Camping



A lot of you out there are good campers. I have found that I am really not that person. I hate dirt, I hate uncomfortable chairs and I hate smoke. So let's start from the beginning.
I bought my wonderful husband a tent for Father's Day so we could "travel" cheaper and so the boys could do a "manly" thing. We planned this trip so we could go with our friends to Morro Bay. Everything was fine until I walked out onto the beach and Audrey told me to sit down. All I could think about was the sand getting all over me and my clothes. The boys, obviously, were enjoying it. They were rolling around and getting sand where the sun don't shine.
That night we had bomb dinner, thanks to Mike, who provided all the cooking during the trip. We finished the night with smores, that apparently I didn't make right, and a camp fire. The night itself was another story. The boys had never slept in a tent or a sleeping bag, so it was a night of little sleep and lots of stress. I was able to get a good 4 hours, if that tells you anything.
The net day we spent the entire day at the beach and had another really good dinner, with steak and seafood. I was able to shower during the afternoon so I didn't feel as grouchy, but was still feeling a little gritty.
The next morning, Audrey and I were able to go to town after she made homemade cinnamon rolls. They were the best cinnamon rolls ever! We had fun walking around and window shopping. Later the boys met up with us and we ate at a restaurant overlooking the water. I ate so much I thought I was gonna throw up for the first half of the ride home. The second half I had to pee so bad I had to hold my seatbelt away from my stomach. It was painful.
The trip was nice because we were with our friends. I can't tell you that I was the happiest I have ever been due to the circumstances. I guess there were more compromises than I expected. I am gonna have to suck it up and be more manly with my brood.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Good for you Melissa! And it looks like the boys had a great time! Don't worry about the sleeping thing...they do get better at that. Hope we can go together sometime too!

Audrey said...

Well, I have to say, you suffered in silence very well! I didn't hear you complain!
I understand all your issues - that's why we bought the house on wheels. I really don't like camping, but it helps to have a working toilet and a real bed! But I hope camping is something the boys liked - it's an opportunity for a lifetime of memories for them. Besides - every boy needs to know how to survive with limited resources - that impresses girls, you know!
I loved spending time with you! I will cherish last weekend for a long time! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

The Lomeli clan said...

Ahh...you are sweet. The boys did like it. The camping they didn't really talk about, but playing with Gracie they are always up for! I understand about the camping thing with the boys. I think it's important that they are exposed to dirty, boy things even though I wouldn't do it with them personally. David was the driving factor in this experience.