Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Cosmetologist...Finally!

It has been a rough week. I have been really stressed, to the point of rapid heartbeat and insomnia. Maybe this is normal for other people and it use to be my norm, but I have finally become relaxed and settled in my life.
So back to the source of the stress. It was time to retake my State Board test. I have been dreading this test after the last time I took it and failed. Unlike some people who can handle failing things okay, I am especially hard on myself and beat myself up over it. I am talking crying for days and depression....yea all that.
So my test was scheduled for November 30. My model informed me that she had to participate in the Visalia parade the night before. No big deal, I was not going to let that both me. I played it all down in my head as to not make this whole situation worse. I knew I had to have Audrey with me and regardless of the plans the night before, she was going!
The whole week before the test I was unable to sleep. I would go to bed around 10 and wake up at 4, at which point I would toss and turn and think about procedures that I would have to preform. I would get up in the morning, watch videos and reply the procedures in my mind. Stressing the whole time. It was constant and never ending.
So November 29 came and Audrey got to my house at 9:54 pm. Time to drive to Fairfield. That was the easy part. Audrey and I talked the whole time. We always have stuff to talk about and can entertain each other for hours. We got the hotel at 1 am. I took a shower and got in bed. Lights out by 1:45. I remember watching the clock, minute by minute. I was able to get in a 15 minute nap in between, but that was about it. Although the alarm was scheduled for 5, I was up at 4:15, getting ready for the day. 5 am hit and I was dragging Audrey out of bed. We were able to grab Starbucks before going to pick up my kit and head to the State Board Test Facility at 6:45.
By 7:30, we were at out stations and getting instructions as to how the test would be conducted. At 7:45 the test started. I opened my book to see my first appointment and my biggest blessing came true. I had the same appointments on this test that I did the last time. I started with a facial scrub and had a razor haircut. This was perfect. I remember thinking to myself when I was studying that if I just had the same bookings, I would be fine because I now knew what I did wrong. Prefect!!
I finished my test and felt confident!! Excited even, although I didn't get my hope up too high just in case.
Audrey and I went and grabbed In and Out Burger before I took her back to hotel. I went back to the State Board place at 1 pm to get my picture taken and waited until 1:45 to get my results.
At 1:40 I walked into the room where my stress would turn into a result. "Melissa" the lady called from the window. I walked up and she was carrying 1 paper!! I almost started to cry but I held it in! I signed my name and she congratulated me.
I walked outside and into my car. I tried calling David but my fingers didn't work. Finally I got thru. I cried because of happiness and the release of built up stress that had been building for months! It was a happy call that is for sure because he has been the one on he emotion roller coaster with me.
I drove back to the hotel to tell Audrey. As I walked to the hallway Audrey walked around it. She looked at me and I told her, "I'm licensed!". She grabbed and hugged me! We were jumping up and down yelling and acting wild. I was crying again. Then I looked up and noticed a room full of people, separated by a glass wall, watching us. They all had huge smiles on their faces. They looked like they wanted to cheer too!! What a happy moment that was!
So we checked out of the hotel, after calling my Dad and headed home. What a wonderful day! I have been working so hard for 2 years to get to this point. Now it has happened. I am finally able to contribute financially to my family and offer something to them. I can work outside of the house and be productive in other ways than cleaning and cooking.
Thank you to all of you who have been encouraging to me over the years and have let me practice on you. I have really appreciated it all!

No comments: