Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Math has never been my strong point. Ever! I started having problems with it in elementary school and it has become worse the older I have got. I was always in the low group in school and never felt confident with my math scales. Although, I can figure out discounts and sales in a jiffy! I am the person to take with you if you ever need to figure out what you would get off that shirt you've been checking out.
So tonight I was doing math homework with Gavin. Poor thing is me but miniature. He is having the hardest time. He worked on a single page of math homeowrk for 45 minutes. It was 6 questions! I caught myself talking louder to "help" him unerstand and finally just reverted to leaving him at the table to figure it out. I had to walk away...several times. I even sent him to his room to clear his head. After the ordeal I have poured myself a glass of wine. I am sitting and enjoying it too.
The only thing I could figure out to do, is to write his teacher a note letting her know just how much help he needs to catch up to the other kids in his class. I hope I did the right thing. He tries but I can't help him how he needs. I don't have any expertise in math, in fact, I didn't get a four year degree for that reason. I failed elementary algebra in J.C. Horrible...I know.

3 comments:

The Lomeli clan said...

pardon me for the mistakes.....I pressed a button and it was published! My bad....guess you can see my flaws in the english area too!

Jamie said...

OK, here's a couple links on the computer that might help. If your boys like to do things on the computer, let 'em play math games!!! They'll learn without thinking they are.

http://www.coolmath4kids.com/addition/02-yardstick-addition-lesson-01.html

This is a good strategy for teaching simple addition...and explore the rest of the site.

http://www.funbrain.com/math/index2.html

This game the boys could play together, math baseball, taking turns!

I just googled "math games for kids" and checked out the top few suggested sites! Have fun browsing. You're a great mom!

Audrey said...

Hey! I started my blog again.....

I was never good at math either - but got better grades in J.C. than high school...weird! :)