Friday, May 13, 2011

New habits

I am so proud of myself! This isn't a normal occurrence so I have to tell you all about it.
If you haven't noticed I have gained a little weight in the last couple years. Why you ask? Because I have an obsession with food. None in particular...just all of it. I don't even know exactly when all this weight started to settle on my waistline and thighs. I just woke up one day and it was there! Amazing how that all happens.
So it is time for me to get back into shape. I have been jealous of people I know doing marathons. Even half marathons. I used to be an avid runner. I would run between four and six miles everyday. Now, my knees have paid for all these miles, but I think when you truly like doing something, especially of the exercise variety, you better stick with it.
So to David's dismay, I started running once again. Now I am not fast and someone observing this may think I am having an asthma attack or heart attack for that matter, but I push thru and keep going. One way to curb the concerned looks is to hit the road early. I have been getting up around 5:45 (before my alarm goes off) and start my run before anyone is driving around. I tend to like the fact that there is less embarrassment for me since there is a lot of shake going on when I am running.
I haven't hit the constant run of two miles either. I run/walk, but I do work up a sweat and get my heart rate working. I can already feel that my stamina is building. I almost want to keep running instead of walking in between, but my legs just stop and do their own thing. One of these days, my mind will win.
One thing that I have noticed and that irritates me is my stinking I-pod. My husband is in charge of the music and loading it, however he thinks that work out music should be slow. My running shall not be compared to the Tortouise and the Hare, even though it bares a striking resemblance. I feel like all I do is fast forward that thing. Then I find a good song that gets me going and I have to replay it about four times so I can get in the right frame of mind. To fix this problem I may have to actually find the instruction book and do it myself. One more thing to add to my to-do list.
So hopefully I can stick with this workout regiment in order to feel better about myself and ultimately loose some weight. I hope also to be able to join a gym and take a Rumba class, which I will do from the very back corner of the class. I am happy that my body and mind are finally on the same page and want to work together in order to achieve a goal. Thank goodness!

2 comments:

The Isaac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Isaacs said...

Go Melissa, go! :) Your post conveys so much determination, which to me, is half the battle when it comes to cardio-type stuff like running. I definitely don't have that! Keep up the great job!